Avocado Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 ripe Mission avocado, sliced thick
- ¾ cup panko
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp chili powder, divided
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce), chopped
- 1 tsp lemon, juice
- 4 oz Monterey Jack, thinly sliced
- 2 oz mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 4 slices thick white bread
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, mix the panko, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder. Add the beaten egg to separate bowl. In a third bowl, mix the flour, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot (to test this, toss a pinch of flour into the oil. When the flour sizzles, the oil is ready), dip the avocado slices first into the flour until coated. Dip floured avocado slices into the beaten egg until coated. Then gently press the egg covered avocado slices into the panko mixture until completely coated on all sides. Gently place the avocado slices into the hot oil. Fry both sides of the avocado slices until golden brown. Set fried avocado slices on a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tbsp mayonnaise with the chipotle pepper and lemon juice, set aside.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tbsps mayonnaise and butter together. Spread this mixture onto one side of each of the bread slices.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place two slices of bread (butter side down) in the pan. Spoon roughly 1 tbsp of the the chipotle sauce onto the bread slices. Divide the Monterey Jack cheese between the two sandwiches. Top the jack cheese with fried avocado slices, then add the mozzarella cheese and the remaining chipotle sauce. Cover each sandwich with the last 2 slices of bread (butter side up). Cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown on each side.